Skip to main content

Comparing and Contrasting

One of the many perks of being the breadwinner and having my husband home at random odd hours of the day is that he gets to run errands with me.  I tell him in my best Italian voice, "Hey, I bring home the paycheck, you do the grocery shopping with me, eh?"  I will miss having an errand buddy when we resume a normal life in the future.

We had a Costco membership for a year and wanted to try out Sam's Club for a year and do some comparing and contrasting.  We hauled 80% of the kids to Sam's today for a shopping adventure to see what we could find that Costco couldn't offer.

First of all, Costco doesn't have their bathrooms in a very convenient place.  You have to walk in the "IN" door and go over and around to the registers and try to sneak through the checkout hoping you don't look like you are stealing something and make your way to the way back corner to the bathrooms.  At Sam's, you can walk right over to the bathroom without looking suspicious.

Costco is more crowded.  There is less room for horseplay such as racing your husband with your shopping carts full of kids.  Sam's doesn't seem to be busy all that often and the spacious aisles allow for that type of activity.

Costco has a much better selection of food.  Their produce and bakery items are more abundant.  But Sam's Club sells drizzled kettle corn. End of discussion.

Costco has more sample stations.  I never had to eat a meal before going shopping at Costco because I would get a five course meal just sampling all the samples.  And I always feel like I have to compliment the sample hander-outer on how delicious it was because it was free.  Otherwise it's somewhat awkward.

The best part about Sam's Club is that while the cashier is ringing up your two cart fulls of purchases, you can see your total go up slowly on the little computer screen.  At Costco, they are less technologically advanced and don't have a screen where you can see your purchases adding up.  You  are left to just watch them scan everything while you stand there with your card, wiggling your legs, tapping your card on the counter worried, wondering what the total will be.  "$6,587.32 is your total today!" they suddenly shout.  At Sam's, you can prepare yourself for it.  "$23.97...$86.54...(breathe deeply and exhale)...$123.35...$455.02..." and so on and so forth.

We parked our two heaping carts next to a table in the cafeteria after purchasing our goods today and Chet brought over some pizza and pretzels for us.  He handed Milo his sippy cup of water but he didn't want it so Milo put it back in the cart, nestling it next to the seeded grapes I now regret buying.  I didn't read the label good enough.  And what's the point of seeded grapes?  Juicy deliciousness with a random crunch.  And then do you pull the crunched up seed out of your mouth or spit it out across the table or just swallow it?  I suppose it would depend on if you are eating alone or with important guests.

Chet got a big fountain pop for all of us to share.  But the rule was none of the kids could drink out of it until we were done with it, as we don't like to eat our pop, as Chet put it.  Nothing like a little back wash.

Milo threw a fit as he watched us drink out of it as he stuffed more pizza into his already full mouth.  He wanted a sip and alerted us to that.  I handed him his sippy cup again.  He put it back in the cart and continued his fit.  He stuffed more food into his mouth and then was physically unable to eat and cry at the same time so he decided to just eat.  Good decision.

When the moment they had all been waiting for arrived, Tucker got to be the first one to have a sip of pop.  He took a gulp and his eyes watered.  He passed it to Piper as he coughed.  As Piper started bringing the straw to her mouth, Milo threw his pretzel into the garbage pile mid-bite, said, "I done!" and reached for the pop.  After Piper took a drink and got watery eyes and sputtered a bit, Milo had his chance.  He picked it up with both hands, tipped it back, put the straw in his mouth and took a drink.  His eyes watered and he muttered and sputtered and put the pop down, pushing it across the table towards me.  Looking at me out of the corners of his eyes, he slowly reached into the cart and retrieved his once rejected sippy cup and took a drink of water.  "There." he said and picked up his half eaten pretzel that he had just thrown into the garbage pile and continued to eat it.

A little humbling experience for him.  I didn't have to tell him, "I told you so."  I think he figured it out on his own.

So I'll know more a year from now which place I like better.  They both have their perks.  But Sam's has drizzled kettle corn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...