My kids have always been on a schedule ever since the oldest was old enough to tell time. It makes my life easier on most days, as I'm not bombarded with questions about when they can have a snack and when they have to go to bed, etc. The schedule is the same every day.
This morning, I got to thinking if keeping them on a schedule is doing them any favors. It makes my life easier but if we have to stray from the schedule even a little bit, there is an uproar.
The kids were at my mom and dad's a while back and while my dad was chasing Tucker around the house, Tucker stopped mid-run after noticing the time. It was well after 7:30pm and he hadn't yet had a bedtime snack. Oh, the tragedy!
If we have to leave last minute for a showing and a meal and/or snack time is in jeopardy, there is protesting from the masses. When will we eat? How will we eat? We must go to a drive-thru! Will we ever eat again?
In real life, things won't always go according to the plan or the schedule and I don't want them to assume that it will. I suppose all the craziness of our daily life right now is teaching them that, as I don't always follow the schedule when we're on the go. Sometimes, they have to wait until 1pm to eat lunch or, even worse, they miss their snack! (Which they then try to negotiate adding to the next meal.)
It is now the month of June and for Piper, this month was a long time coming. She will finally turn into four, like she's been waiting to do since she turned into three. I get bombarded with questions every day from her.
"Is it my birthday yet?"
"Will it be my birthday at 3 o'clock?"
"Now is it my birthday?"
I've tried pointing out on the calendar the exact date of her birthday, the 26th, but she isn't comprehending it.
Yesterday, she came to the realization that her birthday just isn't coming this year because if it hasn't come yet, three days into the month, that means it isn't ever going to.
She has grand plans for the big day, if it ever comes. We will go to Perkins with Elsa for breakfast and lunch and then go to McDonald's for supper. I can't hardly wait!



Comments
Post a Comment