Skip to main content

Trimming the Tree



Christmas season is in full swing since Thanksgiving is officially over. The kids are getting older now and more able to help out in the kitchen without making too much of a mess. They get to do all the jobs that I don't want to do such as dip pretzels. Sometimes I feel like there is no point in going through all this work to bake. It just ends up getting eaten and then it's gone. Or is that the point?


We had the kids semi dressed up on Thanksgiving and thought it would be great to do a self-timer shot on the living room floor. It wasn't great after all. The smiles lasted about 2.5 pictures and then everyone started whining. Ruby whined throughout every picture and my phone didn't listen to our commands to take a picture. "Shoot!" "Capture!" "Smile!"

We had plans to go to church last evening. We stopped on our way to Cabela's (which is totally not on the way) and Chet ran in "for a few minutes", which is also known as forever. Piper started whimpering from the back seat and I crawled back there to check on her. She was feverish and her nose was dripping and her eyes were watering and she was hoarse. I asked her how she was doing.

"Bad." she replied.

Once Chet finally made it back to the car, we turned around and left for home. The night was still young and so we decided to set up the tree. I had sent Chet to the store earlier in the day for Christmas lights and forgot to clarify what kind of lights I wanted. He merrily picked out colored lights.

Oh, the Christmas light wars continue. I'm thinking they will suddenly all burn out at the end of the season and will have to be replaced with white ones.




The kids took turns putting the ornaments on one side of the tree. 


And occasionally dropping one.


Once the tree was decorated, we shut the lights off and the kids oohed and ahhed at the magic before them. 


I then plopped them down for a picture that I can ooh and ahh at when I'm old and gray. It doesn't matter how Piper is feeling; whenever a camera is around, she perks right up!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...