Skip to main content

Brothers

I woke up this morning to the sound of Milo crying. The oldest two were up getting themselves ready for school and Piper was wandering the house like a zombie, looking for her Ree-punzel doll. I found Milo on his bedroom floor, clutching his pillow and blanket. 
"What are you doing?" I asked him. 
"I don't want to sleep by myself!" he sobbed.
"Well, don't then." I said. "Get up and have breakfast!"
"But Tucker is going to school!" he cried. "I don't want him to go to school!"


Our kids have come in an AB pattern, like my school kids would say, and me because I'm kind of a nerd. Girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy. I love having the variety every time but I kind of assumed my kids would miss out on having that sibling of the same gender who they are really close to. Avery and Piper are two totally different personalities and they clash like night and day. Avery is organized and Piper is lazy and when it's time for them to clean their room, it's earplug time for me while they sort out their differences. 

But Milo and Tucker aren't that way and it's so fun to watch them be boys. Whenever it's lights out at bedtime, I hear lots of clunking and giggling and squealing from their room. I crack open the door and find them wrestling and tackling and sweating. It's hard to get mad because I find it so endearing. They play together so nicely and Milo doesn't appreciate when it's time for Tucker to go back to school. 

This morning, he hauled himself off of the floor and came out into the living room dragging an empty backpack. 
"I'm going to school with Tucker." he said, suddenly wide awake and chipper. 
I thought he was joking but he started packing up the backpack with his essentials; helicopters, trains, airplanes, a shirt. 
"Oh, buddy." I said. "You can't go to school until you are five."
"But I will be six today!" he said, his chin quivering. 

Can he stay little forever, please?


This little man is growing like a weed. He was a great sleeper through the night until about a month ago. I was so desperate, I actually googled, "WHY WON'T MY FOUR MONTH OLD SLEEP ANYMORE?" (in all caps) and found it was an actual problem. The four month sleep regression. Who knew? I've been working on getting him to take better naps during the day and go to bed earlier at night after a bowl of rice cereal. We are getting better! Just not there yet. But look at that face. And his hands! His hands are either folded together or shoved up into his mouth. In a few days, he will be at that golden age of five months. I love that age!


It's been eight years since we became parents. Avery was our only baby for the first three years we were married until Tucker finally came along. I thought for a while that she was the only baby we would get!

Here is a little blast from the past.



One of the best days ever! Avery Ann joined us after a long day of labor and an unplanned c-section.



She spent the first two weeks of her life under these lovely lights.


While I was in recovery, Chet kept a watchful eye on her in the nursery. It's too bad I didn't keep a watchful eye over his hair or I would have cut it before we went into the hospital. But look, he had hair back then! (Side note: Piper asked me the other day, "Why do some dads have hair?")

Outings sure were easy with just one!





This goofy little baby girl turned into a goofy 8 year old with more personality and wit than humanly possible! Every day with her is an adventure!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Morning Glory

Our new morning routine consists of everyone waking up at 7:30am, me and Avery showering, everyone dressed and out the door by 8:30am.  It's a great excuse not to workout; there's just no time.  Darn.  I pile everyone in the stroller and we make our one block trek to Avery's school.  Yesterday, I walked her up to the school doors and let her walk in by herself.  I watched her walk with confidence down the hallway until she was out of sight, her empty backpack bouncing around on her back.  This morning, I walked her to the corner and let her cross the street by herself, with the help of the crossing guards of course, and watched her disappear into the crowd of kids who were getting off of the bus.   The teacher who was monitoring the crossing smiled at me and said, "She's so little."   Tell me about it, lady.  She's too little.  I found this pic as I was rifling through my camera.  I always chuckle at Piper's teet...

They'll never forget

Chet was invited to participate in a September 11 program at the high school yesterday, along with all the Buffalo firefighters, police officers and reserves. I didn't work so I thought I'd come along with the kids and cheer them on. I dropped Chet off at the doors. The kids and I sneaked in as the honor guard was marching and hollering and we found ourselves a seat in the back, next to the exit in case anyone had a meltdown. The auditorium was about half full, with most guests being middle aged. The only children that were there were all older than five and knew how to sit still for an hour without making a peep. Let me tell you, this room was silent. As the opening prayer was starting, my kids were starting to get restless. "Mom, who is that guy?" "Shhhh!" "Bow-wow!"   Tucker roofed . "Tucker! Shhh!"  I hissed. "SCREAM!"  Piper had to put her two cents in. "Bow-wow! Bow wow!"   Tucker said...