"Mom. Mom." I heard Avery out in the hallway. It was pitch black in my room.
I sat up and looked at my phone. 5:45am.
"What?" I asked, crawling out of bed.
"Piper is screaming and I can't get her to calm down." she said.
I went downstairs where Piper was wailing, somewhat uncontrollably. My heart was racing and I felt like I couldn't get there fast enough. It was one of those cries that makes a mother run just a little faster.
"What's wrong?" I asked as she continued to cry.
"I had a bad dream!" she sobbed.
"It's okay." I said, trying to comfort her. "Just tell the bad dream to go away and..."
She interrupted me. "But I had a dream I missed the bus!"
I got a little lump in my throat.
"If you miss the bus, I will always drive you to school." I said. "You don't have to worry about that."
She continued to cry. "But my classroom wasn't there anymore!"
My heart twinged and ached for her. School is such an important part of her life now and missing it would be a huge loss for her. We have all had those dreams where we forget to go to work, forget to wear pants, forget the kids at home, etc.
She was so excited on the first day of school but I could sense some nervousness underneath.
The older kids had a plan to help her out. They would sit with her on the bus and have her sit in the middle of them. Then once they got to school, Tucker would walk her to her classroom so she wouldn't get lost. They figured this all out without our help. It's amazing watching them all work together to help out the littlest child, but 10 minutes later they are fighting like cats and dogs.
We were more than ready for the school year to begin. Our summer was fun-filled and exhausting but by the last two weeks in August, I was ready for routine and schedules. I was looking forward to quiet afternoons with just the three youngest at home and the ability to run errands more easily.
Did I mention quiet afternoons? Who was I kidding.
Five minutes after the big kids left, Milo started whining that he was bored.
"Go play!" I told him. "You have all the toys to yourself now!"
He shuffled around for a while, Ruby following him and imitating him. Then he asked if they could play a board game.
Not much playing was done. A fight erupted shortly after they started because Ruby wouldn't help sort the cards.
And this is how the rest of the day went. I hope they find their mojo soon and figure out how to play together. Milo usually plays with the older kids and Ruby plays with stuff she isn't supposed to so they have a learning curve to conquer.
This morning, Ruby snuck outside to play with the cat and Milo, not feeling well, started crying.
"Mom! Ruby got out! She got out the door and she is outside!" he yelled at me, genuinely concerned.
"She is fine." I told him. "I can see her."
"But I don't want her to go to heaven!" he cried. "She will go to heaven if she is outside by herself!"
My heart can't take it.
He usually follows her outside when she goes and makes sure she stays off of the road. He is like a little basketball player, arms stretched out, bouncing around in front of her like a shield if she gets too close to the road. But he isn't feeling well today and didn't feel up to chasing her around the yard.
I sat up and looked at my phone. 5:45am.
"What?" I asked, crawling out of bed.
"Piper is screaming and I can't get her to calm down." she said.
I went downstairs where Piper was wailing, somewhat uncontrollably. My heart was racing and I felt like I couldn't get there fast enough. It was one of those cries that makes a mother run just a little faster.
"What's wrong?" I asked as she continued to cry.
"I had a bad dream!" she sobbed.
"It's okay." I said, trying to comfort her. "Just tell the bad dream to go away and..."
She interrupted me. "But I had a dream I missed the bus!"
I got a little lump in my throat.
"If you miss the bus, I will always drive you to school." I said. "You don't have to worry about that."
She continued to cry. "But my classroom wasn't there anymore!"
My heart twinged and ached for her. School is such an important part of her life now and missing it would be a huge loss for her. We have all had those dreams where we forget to go to work, forget to wear pants, forget the kids at home, etc.
She was so excited on the first day of school but I could sense some nervousness underneath.
The older kids had a plan to help her out. They would sit with her on the bus and have her sit in the middle of them. Then once they got to school, Tucker would walk her to her classroom so she wouldn't get lost. They figured this all out without our help. It's amazing watching them all work together to help out the littlest child, but 10 minutes later they are fighting like cats and dogs.
We were more than ready for the school year to begin. Our summer was fun-filled and exhausting but by the last two weeks in August, I was ready for routine and schedules. I was looking forward to quiet afternoons with just the three youngest at home and the ability to run errands more easily.
Did I mention quiet afternoons? Who was I kidding.
Five minutes after the big kids left, Milo started whining that he was bored.
"Go play!" I told him. "You have all the toys to yourself now!"
He shuffled around for a while, Ruby following him and imitating him. Then he asked if they could play a board game.
Not much playing was done. A fight erupted shortly after they started because Ruby wouldn't help sort the cards.
And this is how the rest of the day went. I hope they find their mojo soon and figure out how to play together. Milo usually plays with the older kids and Ruby plays with stuff she isn't supposed to so they have a learning curve to conquer.
This morning, Ruby snuck outside to play with the cat and Milo, not feeling well, started crying.
"Mom! Ruby got out! She got out the door and she is outside!" he yelled at me, genuinely concerned.
"She is fine." I told him. "I can see her."
"But I don't want her to go to heaven!" he cried. "She will go to heaven if she is outside by herself!"
My heart can't take it.
He usually follows her outside when she goes and makes sure she stays off of the road. He is like a little basketball player, arms stretched out, bouncing around in front of her like a shield if she gets too close to the road. But he isn't feeling well today and didn't feel up to chasing her around the yard.






Comments
Post a Comment