Skip to main content

Camping Part 1

Sometimes it takes an adventurous camping trip to make me kick up another blog post. I’ve always enjoyed writing about my kids and I have plenty of stories to share about them but the creative energy isn’t always there to put what I’m thinking into words in this post-partum blur. I don’t always know my lefts or rights on most days, not to mention east’s or west’s so actually forming a sentence and typing it out is exceptionally challenging in my sleep-deprived fog.

I love summer time and I try to pack in as much adventure every summer as I possibly can. Having a baby in the middle of June, as wonderful as babies are, kind of puts a damper on summer plans. It’s the same song every day with Willow, sometimes the second verse, sometimes a little bit louder and sometimes a little bit worse. We feed, we burp, we bounce, we walk around, we hand her off to a willing older child so we can eat something ourselves, then we feed, we burp, later, rinse, repeat. I have been so spoiled with easy newborns that it was a bit of a culture shock to have a fussy one. But she is more than cute and this makes up for it.

Summer has sped by at record speed and I decided that we should try to squeeze in one fun adventure before it ends. Our kids love camping and they have been such a big help to me this summer so this was going to be a little thank-you to them.

So last week, we loaded up the sleigh, with not a single cubic inch of space left over and hit the road north. Destination:  Lamb’s Resort on the North Shore. I had made a list and checked it twice and was absolutely certain I wasn’t forgetting anything. I had all seven children, one husband, one trailer jammed with bikes, trikes and bike trailers, two tents, one crib, four air mattresses, five sleeping bags, one teddy bear, one ratty blanket that is Ruby’s most prized possession and three days worth of easy to prepare food.


After stopping for a bathroom break about an hour north and experiencing our favorite type of travel which is crawling through road construction without properly working air conditioning, I came to a realization. I audibly gasped and Chet, my night-shift working husband, popped his head up from his slumber. I forgot our pillows!

“Did the kids bring theirs?” he asked. “Just steal one of theirs.”
“I’m not stealing my kids’ pillows!” I said. They were responsible enough to remember their pillows, unlike their mother and I wasn’t going to take them away.

He went into a mini-rant about how back in his day, he slept in a sleeping bag on the bare ground in -10 degree wind-chills with no pillow and how our kids should also suffer the same fate. Then he went back to sleep.

Absolutely not. I pulled into the nearest Walmart and purchased two pillows and two pillow cases. I proudly walked back out to the vehicle and loaded them up.

“Two?” he asked.
“Yes.” I said. “Both for me. You don’t need a pillow, right? You camp, I glamp.”

We traveled through Duluth and spotted the giant rubber ducky in the harbor, as well as the horrific crowds that were there to see it. The kids (and I) love driving through Duluth and oohed and ahhed at all there was to see. A few hours later, after driving the windy road along Lake Superior, as well as a quick pit stop at Betty’s Pies, we were finally at Lamb’s. Google Maps told me it would only take me 4.5 hours to get there and as much as Google seems to know about all of us, it severely underestimated the fact that we have seven kids. And that I didn’t grab pillows. And that I was pulling a trailer and was driving very responsibly, aka slowly. It took us close to 6 hours to get there.

I checked us in and purchased a bag of gold-plated firewood, or that’s what it should have been anyway for that price. Since we lived too far away to legally bring our own firewood and were fresh out of construction lumber scraps, we had no choice but to buy local firewood. And local firewood ain’t cheap.

We drove around looking for our campsite. When I had made the reservation, I asked for a large, private campsite. “I have just the perfect one for you!” the lady on the phone said.  We found it, number 47. It was large. It was private, on three sides, one of those sides being the dump where all the old picnic tables and lawn equipment go to die. And it was about four feet from the people next to us, who were setting up their camp. I didn’t dare to watch their faces as we unloaded our kids, one by one. I was only imagining their horror.

The camping chairs were the first to be set up, as those had been stored on top of the kids’ heads on the ride up. Chet chuckled when he saw all eight of them set up around the fire. It looked like we were setting up for church. A truck pulled up as we were setting up the tents and it was the owner. He welcomed us to the campground and then pointed and laughed at all 39 bikes still piled on the trailer.

“I got a couple of free tents if you want ‘em.” he told Chet. “You look like the most worthy candidate here.”

What in the world is that supposed to mean? Just because we look like the Beverly Hillbillies doesn’t mean we want free tents! Actually, just kidding, we do want free tents because we like free stuff.

“They’re by the dumpster.” he said. “Help yourself. Might have to buy a few new parts for ‘em.”

Never mind. I like free but not that free.

I sat down to feed Willow and Chet worked on getting the big tent set up. As he assembled the poles, the stretchy rope connecting them snapped. (Maybe we needed a free tent after all.) But being the handy-man that he is, he was able to fashion a knot in the rope to hold the two loose ends together. Amazing, I know. He continues to amaze me, all these years later.

Off to my left, the kids giggled as they discovered wild raspberry bushes right in our campsite. As they eagerly picked and ate raspberries, Avery approached me on my right and handed me a rock. Someone had drawn a face on it and I smiled. How nice! Then I turned it over and discovered that whoever drew the face had also drawn something quite inappropriate on the other side of the rock. I threw it into the woods. What a nice welcome to camp.


One thing I didn't forget was a bucket of sand toys. Even though our campsite lacked sand, the kids have spent so much time excavating our driveway that they have become experts in creating their own sand. While these kids dug around in the rocks, Piper was complaining of a sore throat and stomach ache. My heart sank a little; Avery had just gotten over strep throat and since those two share a bed, I figured Piper would get it next. I just didn't expect it to pop up now when we were camping. I gave her some ibuprofen and kept an eye on her.

Chet rounded up the kids on their bikes to go explore the campground and I noticed Milo was looking a little green. He suddenly bent over, holding his stomach.

“I think I’m gonna be sick!” he said.


To be continued…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...