Skip to main content

Trip West Day 2

Little Bighorn Battlefield is about four hours away from Teddy Roosevelt National Park and it was only about an hour or two out of our way. We could get in for free with our 4th grade pass and Daddy Pig wanted the kids to see it.


There wasn't any RV parking left so the ranger had us go all the way up the hill, turn around and come back down to park in the overflow parking. Driving a large van with a trailer on these minuscule roads with steep ravines is not something I enjoy doing. I prefer flat, country roads with corn fields on either side. Perhaps one or two curves to keep it interesting.

This place is incredibly interesting and moving. It was worth the stop.


In what would become a common event on our trip, a lady coming the opposite way of us started obnoxiously counting out loud, "1...2...3...4...5... (expletive)!" She said it right as I passed by her. I was glad our kids weren't in ear shot. I know most people don't have seven kids these days but we do and is it really that big of a deal? Some people act as if we are parading around 7 rare circus animals. (Well, sometimes they act like it.) But each and every one of them are human beings with ears and eyes and minds and hearts. They are all loved and wanted and cared for. They can hear and feel the negativity and I don't ever want them to be embarrassed or ashamed of who they are and where they're from.

But I do have to say, we did get a lot of positive comments too.

After we left the battlefield, we headed west again towards Lewis and Clark Caverns. The drive was going fairly well until we heard a loud thud. Daddy Pig quickly slowed down the van and pulled off onto the shoulder.

"Sounded like a tire." he said.

"That was the Kindle." Tucker said from the middle bench. "Willow threw it."

Sure enough, Willow did throw the Kindle. She was done with it so she threw it overboard, naturally, and it landed with a thud on the step by the driver side passenger door. It was loud. But she was done with it, so what other option did she have?

We pulled back onto the interstate and Daddy Pig decided we should pull off at the next exit to check fluids and tires. The check engine light was flashing again and while we were thinking of it, we should do it.

I sat in the passenger seat while he looked under the hood and out of the corner of my eye, I saw his feet flying by the driver side window. I leaped up from my seat, frantic, wondering what just happened when his face appeared in the window with a huge grin. He had just done a cartwheel next to the van and here I had thought he had been hit by a passing semi. I wasn't even about to question why he was doing cartwheels on the on ramp; I was just so relieved.

The kids thought this was the funniest thing they ever saw. None of them realized their father was basically an Olympic gymnast.

Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park is about 15 miles or so off the interstate and it was fun to explore these little back roads that run right along a river. The park itself sits in a valley with mountains surrounding the campground.




While the kids ran around on the playground, Willow kept herself entertained by pushing her stroller around the campsite. And for the record, we didn't get much sleep this night either. In fact, it was worse than the night before. At one point, Daddy Pig mumbled, "Should we just pack up and keep going?"

We didn't. We persevered and I told him we would not allow a 14 month old adorable baby girl to win. She would fall asleep eventually, which she did, 2-3 hours later.

The nice, friendly Canadian who was camping next to us said the next day, "I only heard her for a little bit. She has such a quiet cry."

Translation in American: "I heard her crying for quite a while and while her cry is softer than some babies, it is still incredibly obnoxious but I didn't want to say anything so I put my ear plugs in and a pillow over my face and went to sleep, praying that she would shut up. And she finally did at 1 am and I got a good six hours of sleep and you only actually need four to survive so I'm fine. But I'm glad you aren't staying here tonight and maybe I'll get sleep for once."

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Morning Glory

Our new morning routine consists of everyone waking up at 7:30am, me and Avery showering, everyone dressed and out the door by 8:30am.  It's a great excuse not to workout; there's just no time.  Darn.  I pile everyone in the stroller and we make our one block trek to Avery's school.  Yesterday, I walked her up to the school doors and let her walk in by herself.  I watched her walk with confidence down the hallway until she was out of sight, her empty backpack bouncing around on her back.  This morning, I walked her to the corner and let her cross the street by herself, with the help of the crossing guards of course, and watched her disappear into the crowd of kids who were getting off of the bus.   The teacher who was monitoring the crossing smiled at me and said, "She's so little."   Tell me about it, lady.  She's too little.  I found this pic as I was rifling through my camera.  I always chuckle at Piper's teet...

They'll never forget

Chet was invited to participate in a September 11 program at the high school yesterday, along with all the Buffalo firefighters, police officers and reserves. I didn't work so I thought I'd come along with the kids and cheer them on. I dropped Chet off at the doors. The kids and I sneaked in as the honor guard was marching and hollering and we found ourselves a seat in the back, next to the exit in case anyone had a meltdown. The auditorium was about half full, with most guests being middle aged. The only children that were there were all older than five and knew how to sit still for an hour without making a peep. Let me tell you, this room was silent. As the opening prayer was starting, my kids were starting to get restless. "Mom, who is that guy?" "Shhhh!" "Bow-wow!"   Tucker roofed . "Tucker! Shhh!"  I hissed. "SCREAM!"  Piper had to put her two cents in. "Bow-wow! Bow wow!"   Tucker said...