Skip to main content

Birthdays and Mud Puddles


This early spring has been absolutely fantastic! This is the first year in many, many years that I haven't questioned not only my ancestors decisions to settle here but my own rationales for staying here. It's been absolutely beautiful! Give or take a few days.


Our sweet Henry will sit outside and watch the kids play all day if I would let him. But I won't because I have to pick him up and squeeze him every now and then.


I found this deck furniture on clearance clearance at Target last year. Like for basically nothing. So I did what any Finn would do and I bought it. Avery left the umbrella up overnight one night after promising that she wouldn't forget to shut it and guess what? She forgot to shut it. Up over the house it went sometime during the night and we found it in the front yard the next day. Oh, what an adventure that umbrella must have had. Notice the Christmas tree in the corner of the deck. Or don't. I'd rather you didn't. But now that I pointed it out, it's still there from my post-Christmas rage. We were so sick over Christmas that as soon as the sun went down on Christmas Day, I cleared this house of anything and everything Christmas. The tree was the last to go and I threw it out the deck door. Now I don't know what to do with it.


We had the family over one Sunday afternoon for Tucker's late birthday celebration. He was sick on his real birthday so we waited until he was better so he could enjoy his camo cake. The kids flew kites with Timmy in the back yard for a good part of the afternoon.


Ruby escaped through the deck door several times to dig in the sand pile at the bottom of the deck stairs. At first, I tried to stop her but eventually I let her do her thing. She had a grand time!


Tucker is six! I don't know why my kids never listen to me but I tell them all the time to stop getting older. He told me the morning of this birthday when I scolded him for getting older that he needs to turn into a dad so he can get married. I really hope he does it in a different order!


This was taken about five years ago. I don't know why I ever buzzed his beautiful brown hair! My other boys have just had peach fuzz. He really looks like my nephew Jack in this picture.


Our beautiful early spring was interrupted by a sudden snowfall. One morning, while the kids were eating breakfast, I asked, "Guess what's going to fall from the sky today?"
"Rain?" Avery asked.
"Thunder?" Milo asked.
"Hail?" Tucker asked.
"Manna?" Piper asked.

"Snow!" I announced.

I'm not even kidding, three of the four that were able to comprehend what I was saying started crying.

"But God forgot to have summer!" they wailed.

The snowstorm was quick and the snow lingered on the ground for a day or two and it's gone again.


Milo is back to jumping in mud puddles and the bigger kids are back to climbing the trees.


And Piper is content sitting inside with me and taking care of the babies. She lets me know when Henry is hungry and tells me to prepare his food so she can feed him.

One day, I was feeding him and visiting with Chet and 4 million other things and wasn't totally paying attention.
Piper started shouting at me, "Stop, Mom! That's way, way, waaaaay too big-a-bite for him!"
I looked down at the spoon.
"You only put a little bit at the end of the spoon or else he will choke." she said. "Let me do it."
I handed her the food and walked away with my hands up.

Today she told me while she fed him, "Dad doesn't even know how to feed Henry. He puts way, way, waaaaay too much food on the spoon and Henry just spits it out all over his clothes."
"Well, I'm glad we have you around to help us feed him." I told her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...