A few blocks down the road from us is the new splash pad in town. It's got only maybe 8-10 sprinklers and the kids have been loving it. And it's right next to the produce stand downtown so it's a win-win. Except Piper still isn't a big fan of the bees-kil-us.
Milo is not a big fan of posing for pictures. He had enough after the first one.
I've been thoroughly enjoying him during these last few weeks when his perfect little world is rudely interrupted by a bouncing baby girl who will take his place as the baby. Its so nice to be able to be home and not have any other commitments at the moment besides just being a mom. I could sit and watch him play all day long, lining up his Little People, sneaking Tucker's trains out from under his nose, rocking Piper's dolls for 2.2 seconds before throwing them across the room and singing out of upside-down books. And I absolutely love when he crawls up next to me on the couch, puts his head against my arm and says, "I wuv you."
In church yesterday, he was kept busy with a pen and paper for most of the service. Whenever he draws a squiggly line, he calls it an "S", except he doesn't say "S" properly. Add an A before the S and another S after the S and that's how he says "S". And he didn't just say "S" during church; he yelled it. Over and over again. I got the giggles and had a difficult time concealing it and this just encouraged him even further.
Some people's kids.
Chet and I snuck out on a date the other day and instead of going to a beautiful lake or a fancy restaurant, we went to Menards. As we walked hand in hand through the store, we had to chuckle that we get our jollies out of going to Menards without kids. We obviously don't get out much.
We walked, well, waddled past a lady who was standing next to her cart looking at carpet samples.
"You look beautiful." she said to me, softly, eyeing my stomach.
Caught slightly off guard, I replied, "Thank you."
When we got far enough away, I had to laugh.
"You look beautiful." I said to Chet, laughing.
He was unimpressed.
"She complimented you!" he said. "I thought it was very nice of her. People don't do that anymore these days."
Oops.
The way she had told me that I look beautiful reminded me of the time I was in a gas station in the middle of North Dakota at 2am and a tall, native-looking man with long black hair encouraged me to eat a doughnut as I approached the doughnut case.
"Go ahead. Eat a doughnut. Mmmmmmmm." he had said to me, very, very softly as he stood still next to the doughnuts.
I grabbed a doughnut, paid and ran out of the store, not sure if that had just happened or if it was a figment of my imagination.
So now she said I look beautiful in the same voice and all I could think of was the man in the gas station. I'm sorry, kind lady, and I thank you for your compliment.







Comments
Post a Comment