I got a phone call a few weeks ago from one of the Saturday Market coordinators, asking if I could contribute in any way because she heard I was crafty. I almost Rolled On Floor Laughing. Another coordinator also called me later and said that since I was Sarah Niemela's daughter, I must be creative. I told them that I've made two nursing blankets in my lifetime and that I could probably contribute in that way, as long as no one looked at my sewing abilities.
I scoured the blog sites, looking for new creative ideas other than just the standard nursing blanket. I spied a tutorial for a gathered clutch and decided to give it a try. My first one was a flop and I was determined to make the second one right. The second one was also a flop but not as big of a flop as the first one. Finally, by the third one, I got it right. I made three more and cut out fabric for four more. They looked too plain, so I started looking for ways to spruce up the front. I settled on a flower. I found ten different ways to make flowers and had so much fun making flowers, I forgot all about the remaining clutches I was planning on making. I started making fabric flower hair clips and rolled fabric flower hair clips and fabric flower necklaces and lace pearl necklaces and I just can't stop.

I put away the glue gun and looked at the fabric for my nursing blankets I was supposed to make. Fine. I'll do it. I made one and it's not sale worthy. The pattern calls for a ruffle across the front and the casing got all squnchy and my thread kept breaking and it's just not right. So I'll keep it for myself. I like it enough to keep it but I'd be mortified to sell it.
And the fabric that I cut out for the rest of the clutches? Oh, those turned into flowers. And I hear there are a lot of little coin purses and clutches being made already so I don't feel too bad.
I'm no Martha Stewart but I did have a lot of fun making things. People might Roll On Floor Laughing when they see what I made but sew what?
Cute! No sense in making things you don't feel like making. Your flowers look way more fun to make than nursing blankets :)
ReplyDelete