Skip to main content

Aren't hobbies supposed to be fun?

This last week, I mean, two weeks, I mean, three weeks, I mean, month I've been working on perfecting my latest hobby of crocheting. Many times, I ask myself if it's all worth it. Aren't hobbies supposed to be fun? I've torn apart I don't know how many hats and started over. I've switched yarn because I didn't like the kind I was using. I've switched patterns too many times to count. One hat turns up with five extra stitches all the way around, making it adult size. The next hat is all kiddy-whompus and doesn't even closely resemble a hat. I wouldn't even feed my dog out of it. And I don't even have a dog. Even Chet, my motivator and biggest supporter, told me this week, "This is getting out of control. Is it even worth it? You spend all day on a hat, then rip it all apart." I put my foot down and sternly told him that I would NOT be that kind of person who decides to pick up a hobby and quits the second it doesn't work out. I would turn into one of those hoarders with boxes and bags and bins of stuff. I bought the yarn and hooks and by golly, I'm going to use them.

I finally had some success. I worked on this hat all week and perfected it. After I got done, I realized I do not like the colors and it may be on the cheesy side, but 1.) it's in the shape of a hat and 2.) it fits Piper. I'll post pictures later.

As I made the finishing touches on the hat, Avery pulls up a stool to the side of the couch. She had her Bible stories book in hand and flipped open to the Q&A section of the book.

"So.... Who was Jesus?"
"Oh, he was the son of God."
"Correct! Ok. Does Jesus love you?"
"Yes, He always does."
"Correct! Even when you argue with your brother. Who was Moses?"
"He was the baby in the basket in the river."
"Nope. He led the children of Israel out of Egypt."
"Oh. Sorry."
"It's ok, Mom. I still think you are smart."

Whew!

"Mom. What is sins?"
"Well, when you disobey God you have sinned."
"What happens to your body?"
"Your conscience becomes dirty."
"Well, what if you do something that's not too bad?"
"As opposed to really bad? Aren't you a kid and aren't things supposed to be black and white?"

This week, Tucker has mastered the art of making excuses.

"Tucker, can you help me clean up?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"I too busy."

"Tucker, you should eat your supper."
"No."
"It's yucky."
"Well, you'll be hungry later."
"No. I too busy."

He hasn't become too creative yet in his excuses.

This week, I realized that Piper won't be my baby for much longer. When did she get so huge? I was getting the kids ready for bed earlier in the week and she came running up to me with a book, sits down on my lap mid-diaper change with Tucker and opens it up and points to a kitty. Since when is she interested in something other than wreaking havoc on her siblings and being really loud in church?

I'm off to finish a newborn sized hat for the baby boy. I think we've decided on a name, finally! But then again, maybe we haven't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Morning Glory

Our new morning routine consists of everyone waking up at 7:30am, me and Avery showering, everyone dressed and out the door by 8:30am.  It's a great excuse not to workout; there's just no time.  Darn.  I pile everyone in the stroller and we make our one block trek to Avery's school.  Yesterday, I walked her up to the school doors and let her walk in by herself.  I watched her walk with confidence down the hallway until she was out of sight, her empty backpack bouncing around on her back.  This morning, I walked her to the corner and let her cross the street by herself, with the help of the crossing guards of course, and watched her disappear into the crowd of kids who were getting off of the bus.   The teacher who was monitoring the crossing smiled at me and said, "She's so little."   Tell me about it, lady.  She's too little.  I found this pic as I was rifling through my camera.  I always chuckle at Piper's teet...

They'll never forget

Chet was invited to participate in a September 11 program at the high school yesterday, along with all the Buffalo firefighters, police officers and reserves. I didn't work so I thought I'd come along with the kids and cheer them on. I dropped Chet off at the doors. The kids and I sneaked in as the honor guard was marching and hollering and we found ourselves a seat in the back, next to the exit in case anyone had a meltdown. The auditorium was about half full, with most guests being middle aged. The only children that were there were all older than five and knew how to sit still for an hour without making a peep. Let me tell you, this room was silent. As the opening prayer was starting, my kids were starting to get restless. "Mom, who is that guy?" "Shhhh!" "Bow-wow!"   Tucker roofed . "Tucker! Shhh!"  I hissed. "SCREAM!"  Piper had to put her two cents in. "Bow-wow! Bow wow!"   Tucker said...