Skip to main content

Old Man Winter

I went into furious nesting mode on Saturday, ripping apart the house, throwing away junk, organizing closets and cleaning every non-visible inch. I was sure the house would collapse after all the boxes and junk supporting it were suddenly removed. But I was happy to hear our house has built-in support beams and such.


The kids jumped for joy at the sight of the first snowfall which left a whopping three inches on our little town. I was less than amused, as I am not a fan of winter. It's cold, it's wet, it's windy, it's icy and it's expensive to heat this 100 year old house that has more cracks in the walls than my mother's back. (We stepped on a lot of cracks when we were kids and I'm so sorry, Mom.)

I didn't get out the door to Target until almost 4pm, which, around here, is practically the middle of the night these days. I started Chet's car and silently grumbled at him for taking my van hunting as loading three kids into the backseat bundled in their winter duds isn't on my top ten list of fun things to do before I die. I silently rejoiced at the discovery of his heated seats (something I didn't care for on the 105 degree day when we bought the thing) and made my way through town. I silently grumbled again as I remembered this car has rear-wheel drive, which is less than ideal in the winter. I silently rejoiced as I pulled into a front row parking space at Target.

I bought more than I planned to and spent more than I should have and made my way back to the car. I loaded the kids and goods in and turned the key in the ignition. Sputter, sputter, click, click, click, groan. Nothing. It's snowing harder now and it's getting colder. I tried it again. Sputter, sputter, click, click, click, groan. Avery is noticing something is not right.

"Oh, Mom, what is wrong with Daddy's car? Is it so junky?"

I silently agreed with her. After all, this is a 9 year old luxury car with 93,000 miles and the least I would expect it to do is to start.

I got out, opened the hood and pretended to know what I was doing. I opened up the battery cover and wiggled the cables a bit. I checked the oil level and shut the hood. I unplugged the phone charger, turned off the lights, shut my door and tried again. Wah-woosh! The car started!

I silently rejoiced as we pulled onto our street.

Chet came home that night in a grumpy mood. He saw a bobcat, two deer and a black bear and didn't shoot any of them, for which he was now kicking himself. He had to drive home on icy, snowy roads and he had only gotten a few hours of sleep that night before. I, on the other hand, was sore from cleaning all day, irritable from having to drive a junky car and I still had to fold the heaping pile of laundry, go to the grocery store and bathe the kids. We both wanted each other to feel sorry for each other. It doesn't always work that way.

The next morning as Avery was in Sunday School, both still a little grumpy and overtired, we drove to McDonald's and bought some Cinnamon Melts, hash browns and orange juice. Chet pulled into an empty parking lot to eat and in the untouched snow, he made tracks shaped like a heart. (You may now barf.) He beamed at his accomplishment. I gave him one of my Cinnamon Melts. I also smiled. The rest of the day went off without a hitch.

Comments

  1. Um, the two times my car wouldn't start also happened to coincide with my WIFE trying to start it. Hmmmmm... reminds me of the ONE time she tried to mow the lawn and the electric start on the mower never worked again. It may just be me but I think I'm picking up on a trend here.
    -The other half

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...