Skip to main content

Wishful Thinking

"What going today?"  Piper asked me as I pulled a shirt over her head.  "Cwazy?"  

My kids still think that crazy is a place.

I sent Avery off to school this morning for her special day before her weekend birthday.  She gets to be the first in line today and what an honor that is to a five-almost-six year old.  We did her hair all pretty and she picked out a skirt to wear.  Oh, to be five again.

She is set on having a huge birthday bash with all of her closest friends tomorrow at our house, but I've had to tell her no as our upstairs is a complete mess with remodel projects.  Our house is tiny and the main floor cannot accommodate five more little girls.  I've promised her a day of swimming at the community center sometime in the next couple of weeks but this is confusing to her as her birthday is tomorrow.  So if we don't celebrate it tomorrow, is that even legit?

Tucker's snuggled up to me as I type and he noticed the 'post' button on top of the page.

"Stop!"  he yelled, pointing to it.  "No, pop!  Pots!"
"Post." I told him.
"Oh."  he said, chuckling.

Close.

Every morning I log into my computer and look at plane ticket prices to San Francisco, all wishful thinking of course.  My sisters are meeting up there in a few weeks for a sister's trip and I'm beginning to realize that I won't be able to go.  There are many details that I thought I'd be able to iron out but things are just not going my way.

But I can't cry too hard, because Chet and I are planning a cruise for sometime in March.  And every time I think about missing out in San Francisco, I remember that I'll soon be lounging on a chair, poolside, with a cold diet Coke in hand, listening to the sounds of the sea as we sail to the Bahamas.  I really, really hope it works out for us to go.  We've been trying to go for years and now that all of our kids are old enough to leave behind for a few days, we're taking full advantage.

Milo just dumped the remains of his cereal all over himself.  When I shrieked, he laughed and waved at me and dumped it some more.  This is a little boy who gets a kick out of me yelling "OUCH!"  when he yanks my hair.  He laughs so hard that he stops breathing.  He's the cutest and naughtiest little boy I know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...