In order to keep everyone happy around here, I've resorted to writing out a daily schedule on the refrigerator. This eliminates the continuous questions of what are we doing today and when can we play computer and can we have a snack and... Now I simply refer them to the schedule and their questions are answered.
One of the things we do is called homeschool and this usually takes place in the morning. It's not really homeschool; it's just a time where I can sit down with the kids and teach them something new. For Tucker, it's how to hold a pen. For Piper, it's not even worth wasting my time. For Avery, it's challenging her to do something new and different.
Yesterday, I wrote out some basic addition and subtraction for Avery to work on. She looked at it, sighed and said, "But I already know how to do this."
"Fine." I said. "Here's some multiplication." I wrote out a few multiplication problems.

She looked at it, sighed and said, "But I don't know how to do this!"
I pulled out a calculator. I showed her how to use it. Her face lit up. She got to work, punching in numbers and furiously writing them down and excitedly moving onto the next problem.
"This thing is smart!" she exclaimed.
Today for homeschool, I wrote out some multiplication and division problems.
"What's davison?" she asked.
As she went about her math homework, she became frustrated with 3x4. When she can't figure out a problem, she simply scribbles it out, thus eliminating the need to figure it out. Pretty slick.
She handed the finished product to me and I noticed that her 2 was backwards. She crumpled, frustrated with herself. I tried showing her the proper way to write a 2, but she wasn't having it. I didn't push it.
Later on this morning, she asked me if I ever make a mistake like write my 2 backwards. I told her that, yes, adults make mistakes too and they try harder the next time not to make that mistake.
She seemed content with that answer. She got a blank piece of paper and a pen and went to work writing out 2's. She wrote out an entire page of 2's, and ran over to me to show me her hard work. All backwards. I didn't have the heart to tell her.
Maybe we can work on it in tomorrow's homeschool.
One of the things we do is called homeschool and this usually takes place in the morning. It's not really homeschool; it's just a time where I can sit down with the kids and teach them something new. For Tucker, it's how to hold a pen. For Piper, it's not even worth wasting my time. For Avery, it's challenging her to do something new and different.
Yesterday, I wrote out some basic addition and subtraction for Avery to work on. She looked at it, sighed and said, "But I already know how to do this."
"Fine." I said. "Here's some multiplication." I wrote out a few multiplication problems.
She looked at it, sighed and said, "But I don't know how to do this!"
I pulled out a calculator. I showed her how to use it. Her face lit up. She got to work, punching in numbers and furiously writing them down and excitedly moving onto the next problem.
"This thing is smart!" she exclaimed.
Today for homeschool, I wrote out some multiplication and division problems.
"What's davison?" she asked.
As she went about her math homework, she became frustrated with 3x4. When she can't figure out a problem, she simply scribbles it out, thus eliminating the need to figure it out. Pretty slick.
She handed the finished product to me and I noticed that her 2 was backwards. She crumpled, frustrated with herself. I tried showing her the proper way to write a 2, but she wasn't having it. I didn't push it.
Later on this morning, she asked me if I ever make a mistake like write my 2 backwards. I told her that, yes, adults make mistakes too and they try harder the next time not to make that mistake.
She seemed content with that answer. She got a blank piece of paper and a pen and went to work writing out 2's. She wrote out an entire page of 2's, and ran over to me to show me her hard work. All backwards. I didn't have the heart to tell her.
Maybe we can work on it in tomorrow's homeschool.
Comments
Post a Comment