Tucker has been our picky eater for quite some time now and perhaps it was just an optical illusion, but he was appearing to be losing weight. His skin was dry and his little lips cracked. He wasn't a fan of drinking water or anything that would hydrate him. He scratched himself silly around his waist and has open and bleeding sores as a result. We tried every approach to no avail.
I went out and bought PediaSure as a last result, and the first five times of getting him to drink it were in vain. One smell and he would push it away. I tried mixing it in a milkshake in the blender, but he didn't fall for it.
I don't know what made him start drinking it, but one day, he just did. And that's what he lived off of for about a week, with a few nibbles of breakfast here and a few bites of lunch there. Supper was always out of the question.
One day, he told me that his mouth hurt. Finally! A reason! I scheduled an appointment with his pediatrician.
We visited Grandma's house on Monday evening and Grandma whipped up a pot of chili. I served a small amount to Tucker, along with some cornbread, and I almost fell off my chair. Tucker ate the chili and asked for more.
When we got home, he ate cheese and crackers for a bedtime snack. I almost fainted.
The next morning, he ate his entire bowl of Golden Grahams and asked for another serving.
For snack, he polished off two banana muffins.
For lunch, he ate an entire peanut butter & jelly sandwich, plus all of his peas and wheat crackers.
For supper, get this. He ate an entire enchilada. Then he asked for more. I think I fell off my chair and hit my head on the floor.
"I too skinny, Mom." he said, in between bites of his food.
Avery has been telling him for weeks now that he needs to eat more because he is too skinny and he will die if he doesn't eat anything. Apparently, he finally decided to listen to her.
On Thursday, he wolfed down all three meals and we made our way to the clinic for his appointment. I contemplated cancelling but decided I better not. The doctor examined his mouth and found that his tonsils were still enlarged, but they didn't appear inflamed so he wasn't too concerned. His weight has been steady (it was my imagination that he was getting skinny), and he is otherwise healthy. And besides, he had already started eating again. He said to come back for his 3 year in a few months and we'll re-evaluate.
His eating binge only lasted a few days. He's back to not eating much.
I went out and bought PediaSure as a last result, and the first five times of getting him to drink it were in vain. One smell and he would push it away. I tried mixing it in a milkshake in the blender, but he didn't fall for it.
I don't know what made him start drinking it, but one day, he just did. And that's what he lived off of for about a week, with a few nibbles of breakfast here and a few bites of lunch there. Supper was always out of the question.
One day, he told me that his mouth hurt. Finally! A reason! I scheduled an appointment with his pediatrician.
We visited Grandma's house on Monday evening and Grandma whipped up a pot of chili. I served a small amount to Tucker, along with some cornbread, and I almost fell off my chair. Tucker ate the chili and asked for more.
When we got home, he ate cheese and crackers for a bedtime snack. I almost fainted.
The next morning, he ate his entire bowl of Golden Grahams and asked for another serving.
For snack, he polished off two banana muffins.
For lunch, he ate an entire peanut butter & jelly sandwich, plus all of his peas and wheat crackers.
For supper, get this. He ate an entire enchilada. Then he asked for more. I think I fell off my chair and hit my head on the floor.
"I too skinny, Mom." he said, in between bites of his food.
Avery has been telling him for weeks now that he needs to eat more because he is too skinny and he will die if he doesn't eat anything. Apparently, he finally decided to listen to her.
On Thursday, he wolfed down all three meals and we made our way to the clinic for his appointment. I contemplated cancelling but decided I better not. The doctor examined his mouth and found that his tonsils were still enlarged, but they didn't appear inflamed so he wasn't too concerned. His weight has been steady (it was my imagination that he was getting skinny), and he is otherwise healthy. And besides, he had already started eating again. He said to come back for his 3 year in a few months and we'll re-evaluate.
His eating binge only lasted a few days. He's back to not eating much.
Comments
Post a Comment