Avery came down the stairs this morning and crept into my room.
"Good morning, Mom!" she said, too cheerfully for morning. "Where are your cupcakes and balloons and presents?"
I rolled over to look at my phone. 7:01am.
"I don't know, Avery." I mumbled. "Go back to bed."
"Ok!" she said, again, much too cheerful for what time of day it was.
She skipped out of my room and tripped over the step.
"Ow." I heard her say. "Better watch it next time."
The other wee ones slowly started to wake from their deep slumbers and as I prepared breakfast, Avery wondered again about my birthday celebration. When I told her there was no cake, she burst into tears.
"But you'll never be 25 if you don't have a cake with candles!" she sobbed.
Well, that's one way to never get old.
"Can I please call Grandma?" she asked. "Something terrible is happening and I need her to help me."
She told Grandma all of her woes, but the cake dilemma wasn't yet solved. Perhaps Daddy would bring home a cake on his way home.
She called him.
"Jello and yogurt!" he said.
"Dad? Can you stop at Walmart and pick up a cake for Mom?"
"I could pry do that." he said.
I waved frantically to Avery.
"Dairy Queen!" I whispered. "Have him stop at Dairy Queen!"
"Stop at Dairy Queen, Dad." she instructed.
"Wow, what are we, loaded?" he wondered. "Ok, 10-4."
"10-4." Avery said.
He didn't end up having time to stop and pick up a cake, which is just fine by me. I used up all my WW bonus points last night on fried green beans and mini chimi's at Perkins.
He came home and left again, this time to go on a ride-a-long with the State Patrol.
As I got supper ready, Avery had a great idea.
"I have a great idea!" she said. "Let's put the candle into your food!"
"How about not?" I said. "I'll just hold a candle and I'll blow it out after you sing to me."
So that's what we did.
As I sat down on the couch to snuggle with my fatso-crooked-headed little Milo, Avery put her dishes in the sink and walked over towards me. She stopped at the end of the couch, looked me in the eye and winked.
I had to laugh out loud.
Birthdays don't have to be filled with cupcakes and balloons and presents. I've got all the gifts I could ask for, right here.
"Good morning, Mom!" she said, too cheerfully for morning. "Where are your cupcakes and balloons and presents?"
I rolled over to look at my phone. 7:01am.
"I don't know, Avery." I mumbled. "Go back to bed."
"Ok!" she said, again, much too cheerful for what time of day it was.
She skipped out of my room and tripped over the step.
"Ow." I heard her say. "Better watch it next time."
The other wee ones slowly started to wake from their deep slumbers and as I prepared breakfast, Avery wondered again about my birthday celebration. When I told her there was no cake, she burst into tears.
"But you'll never be 25 if you don't have a cake with candles!" she sobbed.
Well, that's one way to never get old.
"Can I please call Grandma?" she asked. "Something terrible is happening and I need her to help me."
She told Grandma all of her woes, but the cake dilemma wasn't yet solved. Perhaps Daddy would bring home a cake on his way home.
She called him.
"Jello and yogurt!" he said.
"Dad? Can you stop at Walmart and pick up a cake for Mom?"
"I could pry do that." he said.
I waved frantically to Avery.
"Dairy Queen!" I whispered. "Have him stop at Dairy Queen!"
"Stop at Dairy Queen, Dad." she instructed.
"Wow, what are we, loaded?" he wondered. "Ok, 10-4."
"10-4." Avery said.
He didn't end up having time to stop and pick up a cake, which is just fine by me. I used up all my WW bonus points last night on fried green beans and mini chimi's at Perkins.
He came home and left again, this time to go on a ride-a-long with the State Patrol.
As I got supper ready, Avery had a great idea.
"I have a great idea!" she said. "Let's put the candle into your food!"
"How about not?" I said. "I'll just hold a candle and I'll blow it out after you sing to me."
So that's what we did.
As I sat down on the couch to snuggle with my fatso-crooked-headed little Milo, Avery put her dishes in the sink and walked over towards me. She stopped at the end of the couch, looked me in the eye and winked.
I had to laugh out loud.
Birthdays don't have to be filled with cupcakes and balloons and presents. I've got all the gifts I could ask for, right here.
Comments
Post a Comment