Skip to main content

It Beeps

My children live in absolute fear of smoke detectors.  A few months ago, I was woken up by pounding on my bedroom door and yells and screams from Avery, Tucker and Piper.  I could hear Milo wailing from his crib.

"MOM!  MOM!  Hurry!  There's a fire!  MOM, WAKE UP!"  Avery screamed, pounding my door down.

I sprang out of bed and whipped open my bedroom door.  I've never seen such fear on their little faces.

"WHERE IS IT?"  I asked, my heart pounding, as I ran towards the stairs to get Milo.

"I DON'T KNOW!"  Avery yelled in complete hysterics, holding onto Tucker and Piper, who were both bawling.  "The fire alarm said there was a fire!"

I ran upstairs and downstairs and found nothing.  There was no smell of smoke and none of the smoke alarms were even going off.

I walked back into the living room, the three of them huddled together.

"What do you mean, the fire alarm said there was a fire?"  I asked.
"Well, Tucker pushed the button on it and the lady inside it said, 'Fire, fire, go outside.'"  Avery explained, her voice shaking.

Well, that explains it.  We are finishing up remodeling the upstairs and while Chet was painting he took down the smoke detector from the wall and put it on the ledge, within reach of the kids.  (And that poor lady that has to sit inside the smoke detector all day must have no life.)

I calmed them all down and we had a little chat about what smoke detectors do and how they are our friends and what to do in case there was a real fire.  I even showed them that we live on the same block as the fire station and it wouldn't take them very long to come over if there was a fire.

This afternoon, I sent the kids upstairs to play so I could fold my laundry in peace.  Milo likes to dive on top of the piles and throw clothes up in the air or into the kitchen sink.  It's just easier when they play upstairs because he goes where they go.

But they kept coming back downstairs and were showing signs that they weren't all that interested in playing upstairs.

"Why do you keep coming down?" I asked.
"Well, there's that thing up there that keeps beeping."  Tucker said, looking around nervously.
"The smoke detector?"  I asked.
"Yeah."  he said. "You should come fix it."
"Can you just bring it to me?" I asked.  "I'll change the batteries."

He stared at me and started to hesitate.

"But, I, um, well, can't you just come get it?"  he asked.
"When I'm done with the laundry, I will."  I said.  "Can't you just bring it to me?"
"Can I pick it up with a wet one?"  he asked.  That's how they pick up bugs, after all, so you don't have to touch them with your bare hands.
"Sure."  I said, trying not to laugh.

He went upstairs, then quickly came back down.

"I can't get it, Mom.  It's too heavy."

I'm sure it was, weighing in at about 12 ounces.

A few minutes later, I heard him say to himself, "Oh, I'll just put it in a blanket."

But that failed too.  It was still too heavy.

He went back upstairs, determined to face his fear of carrying down a dying smoke detector.  I sneakily followed, wanting to see what he was going to try next.  It beeped again as I climbed the stairs and when I got into their room, I saw him huddled in his blanket.

"What are you doing?"  I asked him.
"I'm freezing."  he said, with complete fear in his eyes.  "When it beeps, I get freezing."

Makes sense.

"Why can't you carry it down for me?" I asked him.
"Because I'm a kid."  he said.  "Avery will do it when she gets home. Or you could do it."
"What if it beeps when I try to carry it downstairs?  I asked him.
"It won't." he quickly said, reassuring me.

I asked Piper if she would do it but she flat out refused.

"It beeps."  she said.

I picked it up and Tucker quickly reminded me not to push the button on it.  I tried to hand it to him, but he told me again that he was just a kid and couldn't do it.  I handed it to Piper and amazingly, she took it from me and carried it down the stairs and set it on the counter.

 "Now can I stay up?"  she asked, referring to her upcoming nap.

"I suppose."  I said.  Bravery should be rewarded, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Morning Glory

Our new morning routine consists of everyone waking up at 7:30am, me and Avery showering, everyone dressed and out the door by 8:30am.  It's a great excuse not to workout; there's just no time.  Darn.  I pile everyone in the stroller and we make our one block trek to Avery's school.  Yesterday, I walked her up to the school doors and let her walk in by herself.  I watched her walk with confidence down the hallway until she was out of sight, her empty backpack bouncing around on her back.  This morning, I walked her to the corner and let her cross the street by herself, with the help of the crossing guards of course, and watched her disappear into the crowd of kids who were getting off of the bus.   The teacher who was monitoring the crossing smiled at me and said, "She's so little."   Tell me about it, lady.  She's too little.  I found this pic as I was rifling through my camera.  I always chuckle at Piper's teet...

They'll never forget

Chet was invited to participate in a September 11 program at the high school yesterday, along with all the Buffalo firefighters, police officers and reserves. I didn't work so I thought I'd come along with the kids and cheer them on. I dropped Chet off at the doors. The kids and I sneaked in as the honor guard was marching and hollering and we found ourselves a seat in the back, next to the exit in case anyone had a meltdown. The auditorium was about half full, with most guests being middle aged. The only children that were there were all older than five and knew how to sit still for an hour without making a peep. Let me tell you, this room was silent. As the opening prayer was starting, my kids were starting to get restless. "Mom, who is that guy?" "Shhhh!" "Bow-wow!"   Tucker roofed . "Tucker! Shhh!"  I hissed. "SCREAM!"  Piper had to put her two cents in. "Bow-wow! Bow wow!"   Tucker said...