Thank you, everyone, for the birthday wishes! Chet took me out to Olive Garden for my birthday on Sunday. We hadn't been there since Valentines Day in 2005. We took this extremely ugly picture last time we went and thought ourselves to be absolutely hilarious at the time. 8 years later, we just had to retake it, although we couldn't quite get it exact. I don't know how I got my head to look like it was sticking out of Chet's neck so many years ago and we just felt like too big of fools in our minivan trying to figure it out in the Olive Garden parking lot. It's close enough. I wanted to capture what 8 years of putting up with me has done to Chet's hair, but it's hard to get everything perfect with a self portrait, or "selfie" as the hip people call it.
Avery and Tucker were extremely disappointed in the fact that they wouldn't be there for my birthday, as in the whole cake and candles part of it which wasn't going to happen anyway. Avery just didn't understand why I didn't want a cake and candles and balloons and presents. Someday she'll understand that getting older isn't as exciting as it used to be.
But to appease them, we stopped and picked up a four pack of cinnamon rolls from the Cub bakery and lit a candle and had a little party when we got back home. Just to make things interesting, I pretended I didn't know how to blow out the candle. I spit and blubbered and blew upwards and downwards and that candle just wouldn't blow out. They nervously laughed watching their grown mother fail but soon they all gave me serious instructions on how to blow out the candle. I let out a big sneeze and the candle blew out. They howled. It doesn't take much to thrill a crowd of children under 6.
Just like my mom did when we were trying to take a family picture at Thanksgiving one year in Wisconsin. She had the camera on the tripod and hit the self timer button. We knew it would only flash a few times before it went off and my mom kept tripping and falling down as she tried to make her way back to the group and we panicked, knowing there was no way she was going to make it in time if she kept doing that. I remember thinking at the time that my mother sure is clumsy, but now I know that she did it on purpose just to make us all squeal and screech and jump up and down. And I do the exact same thing to my kids and it's beyond entertaining.

Comments
Post a Comment