Avery has been thoroughly enjoying this warmer weather, gasping every time she looks outside and notices that more snow has melted. She'll run out, throwing her arms in the air, spinning herself around, throwing her face up to the sky and sing about the sunshine. No kidding.
Yesterday afternoon, she did the very same but came running back into the house, out of breath, telling me she was going to construct a kite to fly. Using a leftover Fruit-by-the-Foot wrapper, a leftover crocheted yarn piece from a scarf I made and some notebook paper, she crafted an absolutely beautiful kite. Except that it broke on the first run. I helped her reinforce it with some Duck Tape.
"Now it's too heavy." she said, expertly and trimmed some of the tail off with scissors, as if that would fix the problem.
She ran back outside, round and round the yard, trying to get it to fly, with no luck.
"Kites are just not flying good this year." she sighed, as if she had just polled every kite owner in the continental US.
She suddenly gasped.
"Does Dad have a hole pincher?" she asked, eyes wide and a huge light bulb appearing over her head.
"Go ask him." I said.
She ran downstairs to find Chet and just as quickly ran back up the stairs.
"Mom! Mom! Dad has a hole pincher! SUCCESS!" she shrieked, throwing both fists in the air.
"What do you need a hole puncher for?" I asked.
"To help wind go through my kite." she said. "I read it in my American Girl book."
It was lunch time, then, and she never got around to pinching holes in her kite. Another project for another day, I guess.

Comments
Post a Comment