The big picture window in our living room has spent it's entire life with us covered in mini blinds. They were a temporary fixture in this household, and like all things temporary around here, they became permanent. That is, until they broke.
Down they came.
The rods attached to them were quickly scooped up by the eldest and our living room became an impromptu classroom. She began to teach her imaginary class, using one of the rods to point to an imaginary blackboard. I pretended not to notice.
"Now, class." she began. "Today we will learn about opposites." She clicked her tongue. "Who knows the opposite of cold?"
No one answered. Tucker popped his head into the living room and asked if he could play.
"You can play, Tucker, but you can't be the teacher because you don't know anything." she replied. Ouch.
He sat down on the floor.
"Now, Tucker. What is the opposite of cold?" she asked.
"Hot!" he replied.
"You cheated." she accused.
He did not! I wanted to scream. But I had to let this pan out on its own.
"Tucker. You can answer another question but don't cheat." she continued. "What is 1+1?"
"Two!" he yelled.
She stopped and looked at me.
"Mom!" she said. "Tucker's cheating!"
"He is not." I said. "How could he possibly be cheating?"
She shrugged and walked back to the wall. She pointed to the trim.
"Tucker. What flies in the sky and carries thousands of passengers?" she asked.
"A bird!" he yelled.
"Nope." she said. "You lose. Laura?"
"Yes?" I answered. I didn't know I was a student.
"What is the capital of Iceland?" she asked.
"Reykjavik." I said.
She bent over and laughed. "Don't talk like that!" she said, giggling. "Talk real, not in language!"
"But!" I protested. "Reykjavic is the capital of Iceland. That's how you say it!"
"Oh." she said.
Tucker asked for a turn to be the teacher.
"Wola?" he asked, looking at me. "What is 5+1?"
"Six!" I said.
"Nope." he said. "It's James."
"Oh." I said.
I guess I am as dumb as I look. How did I not know that?
Down they came.
The rods attached to them were quickly scooped up by the eldest and our living room became an impromptu classroom. She began to teach her imaginary class, using one of the rods to point to an imaginary blackboard. I pretended not to notice.
"Now, class." she began. "Today we will learn about opposites." She clicked her tongue. "Who knows the opposite of cold?"
No one answered. Tucker popped his head into the living room and asked if he could play.
"You can play, Tucker, but you can't be the teacher because you don't know anything." she replied. Ouch.
He sat down on the floor.
"Now, Tucker. What is the opposite of cold?" she asked.
"Hot!" he replied.
"You cheated." she accused.
He did not! I wanted to scream. But I had to let this pan out on its own.
"Tucker. You can answer another question but don't cheat." she continued. "What is 1+1?"
"Two!" he yelled.
She stopped and looked at me.
"Mom!" she said. "Tucker's cheating!"
"He is not." I said. "How could he possibly be cheating?"
She shrugged and walked back to the wall. She pointed to the trim.
"Tucker. What flies in the sky and carries thousands of passengers?" she asked.
"A bird!" he yelled.
"Nope." she said. "You lose. Laura?"
"Yes?" I answered. I didn't know I was a student.
"What is the capital of Iceland?" she asked.
"Reykjavik." I said.
She bent over and laughed. "Don't talk like that!" she said, giggling. "Talk real, not in language!"
"But!" I protested. "Reykjavic is the capital of Iceland. That's how you say it!"
"Oh." she said.
Tucker asked for a turn to be the teacher.
"Wola?" he asked, looking at me. "What is 5+1?"
"Six!" I said.
"Nope." he said. "It's James."
"Oh." I said.
I guess I am as dumb as I look. How did I not know that?
Comments
Post a Comment