Piper has never been one to speak her mind in words. She was a late talker and would use other means of communication to express her needs.
A temper tantrum was code for "Mom/Dad, I'm not very happy with your actions or lack thereof."
A nasal-like "heh" was code for "LOL! That is hilarious!"
A slap to the face was code for, "How dare you?"
A high-pitched squeal and a finger point was code for, "That's what I want and give it to me now!"
As she grew, her modes of communication grew with her.
The "heh" turned into "Punny!"
The high-pitched squeal and finger point evolved into, "Mom! Mooooom! Mooommmmy!"
Over this last week or two, she is speaking using sentences but there's only a few words that make sense.
I sat down to eat lunch with her this afternoon. The older kids had made themselves sandwiches and had long since eaten, and once Piper woke up from her nap, she and I were starving.
"What are you eating, Pipes?" I asked her.
"A dedda-dedda sanwish a dedda-dedda a dedda-dedda Daddy a-milk a dedda-dedda all gone!" she replied.
Makes sense to me.
As I loaded the dishwasher after we got done eating, she came up to me with her dirty dishes.
"Mommy! A dedda-dedda-a milk a dedda-dedda owies." she said.
Before I could reply, she ran over to the dining room and grabbed a chair, pushing it over to the dishwasher, crashing it into the side.
"Sowwy." she said, her eyebrows slanted in 45 degree angles and her mouth in a half-hearted smile.
"Mom, a cop car dats eight a dedda-dedda yucky a dedda owie." she continued, showing me her finger.
Piper Latin. If you don't know the connecting word, just add a dedda or a dedda-dedda. Similar to pig latin, but not as difficult.

Comments
Post a Comment