I climbed into bed and stared at the ceiling for a while. Well, it was dark, so I couldn't necessarily see the ceiling but I stared in the general direction of the ceiling. My mind started reeling with stupid questions. What if she can't find the bus to take her home? What if she gets picked on? What if she pees her pants? What if she is disruptive in class? What if she doesn't make any friends?
Avery came downstairs at 7am sharp, ready to start her new routine.
I packed up the kids in the stroller and we walked to school , Avery and Tucker hand-in-hand behind me. As we got closer, she became quieter. (Maybe this school thing will be good for her motor-mouth.)
All the other parents were walking into the school with their kids, so I did too, double stroller and all. Avery led the way to her classroom and walked right in and found her teacher, exclaiming, "Hi, Mrs. Casey!" Mrs. Casey didn't respond as she was busy helping another student and Avery looked at me, confused. I shrugged and she shrugged back. She waved good-bye to me and I asked her to come hug me first. Bad idea. I had to cut the hug short so I could dip around the corner before she saw my tears.
I'm such a wimp.
As we were leaving, Tucker started panicking.
"Mom! Go get Avery! You left Avery there!" he yelled.
I explained to him that we were indeed leaving her behind and that she would come home before lunch.
An hour later, he was already lonesome.
"Mom, go get Avery." he said. "She has to come home."
Before we knew it, she came home!
Tucker was so excited to see her, he couldn't even contain his tongue.
Her first day went just fine. She found Alice, who Avery says goes to the same Rockford Lantern Church as us. She and another girl laughed and laughed at the water that kept turning on and off. She went potty once. She ate saltness cracker and milk for snack. She sang a song about raising her hand. She read a story about Humpty Dumpty. And the best part of her day?
"I didn't even have to sit in the thinking chair!!!"
She was pretty excited about that.
Comments
Post a Comment