Two years ago, I was in a deer stand and had a doe come
trotting in with a four pointer following it.
Having not shot a buck yet I thought this was just dandy. The couple trotted around my stand and I dropped
the buck after the first loop. Within a
few minutes I hear more crunching and a nice 6 pointer or so comes in and is
apparently trying to find the buck and doe.
Having dropped the forky, I couldn’t take this one. So I talked to it and explained its luck as I
looked through my scope at it. Now, when
I told my brother Cole about this, he asked why I didn’t just shoot it and use
his tag? He said as long as it was big enough to justify he would be fine with
it. Hmm, guess we should have
communicated that sooner.
Fast forward to this past week. Me and Dan G. went up to Solona State Forest for three days
of deer hunting. Day one we went
scouting and I hiked 6.5 miles and found a few spots that looked
promising. Day two I went and did
morning stand in one of those spots but promptly got bored and wandered off
scouting again. I found a neat little
island off the beaten path and almost surrounded by swamp and brush. It had an old dilapidated wooden tree stand that
someone had built a thousand years ago and a wide grass trail going past the
stand. I, of course, climbed it and only
broke one board on the way up but decided I would come back the next morning
with my harness. I kept scouting and
hiking and at one point forgot my pack at one of the places I had stopped to
cool down and try calling. I had to
backtrack around a mile and ended up near that rundown stand. I decided that being that it was almost two
thirty I had better just use that stand for evening stand after all, harness or
no. I used some rope and tried to give
the stand some extra support and then climbed up. After adding layers for
warmth, I ate and settled in.
Twenty minutes later, I hear crunching and a few quiet
grunts behind me and I turn slowly. I line
up as the doe comes in about 15 yards out but she doesn’t stop and is starting to
angle away. I can hear another coming in
so I decide to let her go and wait for the next one, thinking I should get a
safer shot. De ja vu, it’s a forky and
it stops at 15yds broadside. I’m using
my M44 in 7.62x54R and it’s a big round at 209gr. I hit the forky behind the shoulder through a
lung and the top of the heart, it gave me a shoulder quiver and trotted away. I
saw the red dot where my round hit but put another round after it for good
measure. I missed and it was unnecessary as it made it 15 yards and flipped
over as it jumped a log and didn't twitch.
A minute later, crunch crunch crunch. It was getting busy
around here. In comes another buck along
the same route but a little farther at maybe 25-30yds. It had its head down and was obviously
rutting as it was acting funny and had come in to the roar of the M44, which is
obnoxiously loud even for a large gun. I
counted at least four points on one side and decided to take it, recalling Cole’s
offer to give me his buck tag. I didn’t look at its head any farther as I was
more worried about lining up sights on the vitals. In similar fashion I fired into the lung and
heart and got even less reaction. It looked over at me, quietly snickered and
walked away. I was floored and fired two more rounds at it. Neither of those hit and it was the first one
that hit true. It trotted around the
edge of the island and out of sight, but dropped not far off. I didn’t see it drop and after waiting awhile,
I texted Dan a Sit-Rep and called Cole to explain that I had taken his offer
and hadn’t made the same mistake twice. I
got down and marked the first blood I found and headed back to the truck. I waited for Dan and got a fire going. We ate
and grabbed the game cart and started the 2 mile hike back. With Dan trailing and me marking the last
found blood we found it shortly. As the
picture shows, what I told Dan was maybe a decent 8 pointer with a fairly
mature body was actually a trophy. As tired
as we were and as late as it was getting I still didn’t realize how big it was
until I saw the picture Dan took.
Then it started to sink in. 12 points and two more drop tines that were
broken off that would have made it fourteen.
We were worn out when we found it but we did somehow manage to drag it
through the brush and swamp to the cart.
I think Dan was at least as excited as I was since he knew how big it
was and I told him he can take half the credit since
he was the one that has gotten me more serious about this whole deer hunting
thing. We got them both back to Grangroth’s
after a fruitless Saturday hunt and butchered them. Jim measured it at 145 and I wish I had the money
to do the shoulder mount it deserves but that is not going to happen. We’re going with the European mount so I’ll
at least have something.



Comments
Post a Comment