Another Christmas has come and gone. Now the long wait until spring. This is my non-favorite time of the year.
Christmas felt a little strange this year. My family was out of town and we spent Christmas Eve at home. Chet had worked a long day and was pure exhausted when he walked in the door. He was bombarded with excited kids.
"Dad, Dad! Can we open our presents?"
"Dad, it's your birthday. Did you know that?"
"Dad! Dad! Dad! We're going to make you cupcakes!"
Earlier in the day, I had braved the elements (36 degrees and no snow) and brought all four kids to the store. I know, I know, there's some of you out there who take all eleven with you, plus the family dog, but this was my first time so give me a break. I had to choose between Walmart, Cub and Coborns. Christmas Eve + Walmart + last minute shoppers + long lines = NO. Cub + Christmas Eve + crazy coupon ladies + empty shelves = NO. Coborns + Christmas Eve + small store + overpriced items = YES!
The trip was uneventful and no one made any comments about how many kids I had with me or how I must be the babysitter or how I should really get my hemoglobin checked because I'm so pale.
I made wild rice soup that evening and put cupcakes going for Chet's birthday. The kids enjoyed supper with Daddy while I bounced a screaming Milo in an attempt to get him to go to sleep for once and for all. I then enjoyed supper by myself while the kids ran around in circles, giddy with excitement.
The kids could open gifts from everyone but Santa, because Santa hadn't come yet. Duh. They received Pillow Pets from their great auntie Selma and a book with CD's from Grandpa Tim. I went crazy in the dollar section at Target and bought them all little trinkets. Avery was very grateful and expressed it several times throughout the evening.
Chet and I opened our gifts from each other. Every year, we agree that we're not going to buy anything for each other.
"Let's not buy anything for each other this year."
"Ok. Sounds good. You are my gift anyway."
"Awww."
"So we're not buying gifts for each other?"
"No. Well, small gifts, maybe. Just so we have something to open."
"Ok. Sounds good. Small things. Like $20 maybe?"
"Sure. Or even if you didn't want to buy me anything, I'd be okay with that."
"Ok, let's just not get each other anything."
"Ok."
Christmas comes.
"Here's your present."
"What? You didn't have to buy me anything!"
"Yeah, right, I'd be sleeping in the garage tonight if I didn't."
"No, seriously, I wouldn't have cared."
"What?! You spent this much money on me?!"
"You're worth a whole lot more than that!"
"Ok, here's your present."
"You bought me something?"
"Uh, yeah, you got me something so I have to get you something."
"How did you know I was getting you something?"
"Because you do every year."
I woke up Christmas morning to little feet coming down the stairs, walking into the living room and a gasp.
"Mom! Santa came! And my wish came true! Look what he brought me!"
The kids ate their cereal that Santa brought for breakfast (a family tradition from years past) and then we all sat down to open gifts. In our family, we would open gifts youngest to oldest. In Chet's family, they all took turns opening one thing at a time. So we compromised and did it Chet's way.
It was a mad dash out the door to church. I spent the entire service in the nursery with Milo and Chet was back and forth between the computer and the bench, being on webcasting duty that morning. Let's just say that the girls of the family were not well behaved during church.
We spent the rest of Christmas Day at Nana's. The kids played at the park, certainly a Christmas first. We wrapped up the evening by stopping at a house in Rockford that has Christmas lights synced to music.
It was a very, merry Christmas, indeed.
Christmas felt a little strange this year. My family was out of town and we spent Christmas Eve at home. Chet had worked a long day and was pure exhausted when he walked in the door. He was bombarded with excited kids.
"Dad, Dad! Can we open our presents?"
"Dad, it's your birthday. Did you know that?"
"Dad! Dad! Dad! We're going to make you cupcakes!"
Earlier in the day, I had braved the elements (36 degrees and no snow) and brought all four kids to the store. I know, I know, there's some of you out there who take all eleven with you, plus the family dog, but this was my first time so give me a break. I had to choose between Walmart, Cub and Coborns. Christmas Eve + Walmart + last minute shoppers + long lines = NO. Cub + Christmas Eve + crazy coupon ladies + empty shelves = NO. Coborns + Christmas Eve + small store + overpriced items = YES!
The trip was uneventful and no one made any comments about how many kids I had with me or how I must be the babysitter or how I should really get my hemoglobin checked because I'm so pale.
I made wild rice soup that evening and put cupcakes going for Chet's birthday. The kids enjoyed supper with Daddy while I bounced a screaming Milo in an attempt to get him to go to sleep for once and for all. I then enjoyed supper by myself while the kids ran around in circles, giddy with excitement.
The kids could open gifts from everyone but Santa, because Santa hadn't come yet. Duh. They received Pillow Pets from their great auntie Selma and a book with CD's from Grandpa Tim. I went crazy in the dollar section at Target and bought them all little trinkets. Avery was very grateful and expressed it several times throughout the evening.
Chet and I opened our gifts from each other. Every year, we agree that we're not going to buy anything for each other.
"Let's not buy anything for each other this year."
"Ok. Sounds good. You are my gift anyway."
"Awww."
"So we're not buying gifts for each other?"
"No. Well, small gifts, maybe. Just so we have something to open."
"Ok. Sounds good. Small things. Like $20 maybe?"
"Sure. Or even if you didn't want to buy me anything, I'd be okay with that."
"Ok, let's just not get each other anything."
"Ok."
Christmas comes.
"Here's your present."
"What? You didn't have to buy me anything!"
"Yeah, right, I'd be sleeping in the garage tonight if I didn't."
"No, seriously, I wouldn't have cared."
"What?! You spent this much money on me?!"
"You're worth a whole lot more than that!"
"Ok, here's your present."
"You bought me something?"
"Uh, yeah, you got me something so I have to get you something."
"How did you know I was getting you something?"
"Because you do every year."
I woke up Christmas morning to little feet coming down the stairs, walking into the living room and a gasp.
"Mom! Santa came! And my wish came true! Look what he brought me!"
The kids ate their cereal that Santa brought for breakfast (a family tradition from years past) and then we all sat down to open gifts. In our family, we would open gifts youngest to oldest. In Chet's family, they all took turns opening one thing at a time. So we compromised and did it Chet's way.
It was a mad dash out the door to church. I spent the entire service in the nursery with Milo and Chet was back and forth between the computer and the bench, being on webcasting duty that morning. Let's just say that the girls of the family were not well behaved during church.
We spent the rest of Christmas Day at Nana's. The kids played at the park, certainly a Christmas first. We wrapped up the evening by stopping at a house in Rockford that has Christmas lights synced to music.
It was a very, merry Christmas, indeed.
Comments
Post a Comment