Grandma Sarah made a house call on Tuesday, bearing gifts for us and the little ones. The kids were allowed to open one gift from her while they were there. (Spoiler alert for the Niemela family!)
Tucker's gift was pulled out of the bag first and my mom handed it to him. It was wrapped in tissue paper and Tucker was not too impressed. He spied my gift wrapped in pretty wrapping paper and wanted to open that one instead. Grandma shrugged and found Avery's.
Avery was beyond pleased, hugging her grandma and telling her how wonderful she is and how beautiful the gift was. Tucker then decided he would open his after all.
My mom left them each another gift that they could open whenever we said they could. During our visit, Avery approached me several times asking if she could open her other present. I told her to wait until Daddy came home.
As I was talking to my mom, I noticed Avery, her hands covered her crumpled face and tears running down her cheeks.
"What in the world are you crying about?"
"But, Mom, I want to open my other present."
"I said you have to wait until Daddy comes home."
"But when you yell, it hurts my feelings."
"I'm not even yelling."
"I know, but when you do, it hurts my feelings."
Geesh. She makes it seem like that's all I do. She was inconsolable and I sent her up to her room to cry it out. My siblings tell me that I was this way at her age. All they had to do was point down the hallway and I'd run to my bed and cry.
Grandma was packing up to leave to bring holiday cheer to the next set of grandkids and Avery was still up in her bed bawling. Grandma went up to say goodbye to her (yikes, I didn't realize their room was so messy) and was able to put her back in a good mood. She demonstrated the zipper on her jacket that zips all the way up and over her face. Like who in the world would need a zipper that zips up past your eyeballs so that you can't even see where you're going? She looked like some sort of monster out of a comic book and we howled.
When Chet got home from work, the kids begged him to open their present. He wasn't feeling too hot and he told them to go ahead. Avery was the first to rip her bag open and was ecstatic over her getting her own box of Golden Grahams. Tucker opened his and pulled out a box of Lucky Charms. Avery spied the Lucky Charms.
"Oh, Tucker, you can't have those." she said and swiped the box of Lucky Charms from him, replacing it with her Golden Grahams.
Nice try, Avery. Tucker was given his Lucky Charms back and Avery had to eat Golden Grahams this morning.
Tucker's gift was pulled out of the bag first and my mom handed it to him. It was wrapped in tissue paper and Tucker was not too impressed. He spied my gift wrapped in pretty wrapping paper and wanted to open that one instead. Grandma shrugged and found Avery's.
Avery was beyond pleased, hugging her grandma and telling her how wonderful she is and how beautiful the gift was. Tucker then decided he would open his after all.
My mom left them each another gift that they could open whenever we said they could. During our visit, Avery approached me several times asking if she could open her other present. I told her to wait until Daddy came home.
As I was talking to my mom, I noticed Avery, her hands covered her crumpled face and tears running down her cheeks.
"What in the world are you crying about?"
"But, Mom, I want to open my other present."
"I said you have to wait until Daddy comes home."
"But when you yell, it hurts my feelings."
"I'm not even yelling."
"I know, but when you do, it hurts my feelings."
Geesh. She makes it seem like that's all I do. She was inconsolable and I sent her up to her room to cry it out. My siblings tell me that I was this way at her age. All they had to do was point down the hallway and I'd run to my bed and cry.
Grandma was packing up to leave to bring holiday cheer to the next set of grandkids and Avery was still up in her bed bawling. Grandma went up to say goodbye to her (yikes, I didn't realize their room was so messy) and was able to put her back in a good mood. She demonstrated the zipper on her jacket that zips all the way up and over her face. Like who in the world would need a zipper that zips up past your eyeballs so that you can't even see where you're going? She looked like some sort of monster out of a comic book and we howled.
When Chet got home from work, the kids begged him to open their present. He wasn't feeling too hot and he told them to go ahead. Avery was the first to rip her bag open and was ecstatic over her getting her own box of Golden Grahams. Tucker opened his and pulled out a box of Lucky Charms. Avery spied the Lucky Charms.
"Oh, Tucker, you can't have those." she said and swiped the box of Lucky Charms from him, replacing it with her Golden Grahams.
Nice try, Avery. Tucker was given his Lucky Charms back and Avery had to eat Golden Grahams this morning.
Comments
Post a Comment