When we lived in our apartment, years and years ago, we had a double bed in our bedroom. Every now and then, as I'd fall asleep, I could feel the bed moving, very subtly, but I'd sit up and it would stop. I never thought much of it, thinking maybe it was me twitching in my sleep.
We got a new bed a few years ago and it never shook like our old one did, until recently. It's just as I'm falling asleep, the bed will feel like it's moving, back and forth, very lightly. I always thought it was just me and my overactive imagination, but the other night, Metal Mouth, I mean Chet, felt the same thing when I wasn't there. He actually got out of bed and looked around the house to see if anyone was there.
Last night, it happened to me again and a few minutes, not seconds, but minutes, a train roared by. I'm wondering if the ground starts to vibrate when the train is still a few miles out that would cause the subtle shaking. This house is 100 years old, after all, and its foundation is probably not very solid anymore.
As I looked it up online today, Avery weaseled in next to me to see what I was doing.
"Watcha doin, Mom?" she asked.
"Not much."
"Does your bed shake at night?" she asked, reading over my shoulder.
"No." I said.
"Then why are you reading about beds shaking at night?" she asked.
Nosy Nelly. I shut the laptop. The last thing she needs is to be nervous at night about her bed shaking. When I was a bit younger than her, I had a major panic attack that I was blowing up like a balloon. I could literally feel myself expanding, all because I saw the picture in the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book.
She grabbed a Where's Waldo book and told me it was time for a contest.
"I'll open the book." she said. "Then I'll say 'go' and whoever finds Waldo first wins points."
"Ok." I said. "Game on."
She flipped the book open to the first page and immediately found Waldo. Then again on the second page. And the third. And the fourth. She won all the points. What a lousy game. She had studied the book before the game to put herself at an advantage. Not even fair.
We got a new bed a few years ago and it never shook like our old one did, until recently. It's just as I'm falling asleep, the bed will feel like it's moving, back and forth, very lightly. I always thought it was just me and my overactive imagination, but the other night, Metal Mouth, I mean Chet, felt the same thing when I wasn't there. He actually got out of bed and looked around the house to see if anyone was there.
Last night, it happened to me again and a few minutes, not seconds, but minutes, a train roared by. I'm wondering if the ground starts to vibrate when the train is still a few miles out that would cause the subtle shaking. This house is 100 years old, after all, and its foundation is probably not very solid anymore.
As I looked it up online today, Avery weaseled in next to me to see what I was doing.
"Watcha doin, Mom?" she asked.
"Not much."
"Does your bed shake at night?" she asked, reading over my shoulder.
"No." I said.
"Then why are you reading about beds shaking at night?" she asked.
Nosy Nelly. I shut the laptop. The last thing she needs is to be nervous at night about her bed shaking. When I was a bit younger than her, I had a major panic attack that I was blowing up like a balloon. I could literally feel myself expanding, all because I saw the picture in the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book.
She grabbed a Where's Waldo book and told me it was time for a contest.
"I'll open the book." she said. "Then I'll say 'go' and whoever finds Waldo first wins points."
"Ok." I said. "Game on."
She flipped the book open to the first page and immediately found Waldo. Then again on the second page. And the third. And the fourth. She won all the points. What a lousy game. She had studied the book before the game to put herself at an advantage. Not even fair.
Comments
Post a Comment