Skip to main content

Sweet Deals and Sweet Potatoes

I was up for a good part of the night with my boys.  Tucker was up, crying with throat pain every couple of hours and Milo was up because that's just what Milo does.  He is an extremely light sleeper and will wake up and stay up at the slightest noise.  Tucker would start wailing from the couch and Milo would move about in his crib and start babbling.  Da-da-da-da-da.  (Why do they always say Da first and not Ma?)

By 6:45am, three out of the four kids were awake and dressed so I decided to make lemonade; that is, take advantage of my miserable early morning by going garage sale-ing.  Or saling.  Or saleing.  How do you spell it anyway?

The first five sales we hit were complete jokes.  Perhaps I'm just a stingy Finn, but you can't honestly expect to get $3 for a worn, Circo brand sleeper and $5 for a toddler sized zip-up hoodie.  It's a garage sale; us garage salers expect garage sale prices.

I was getting crabby and started to make my way home, but happened to swing into a sale that looked appealing.  And appealing it was.  I scored; a tent for $5, a bocce ball set for $1, a zip-up for me for 50 cents, clothes for Milo totaling $1, a stack of bibs for him totaling 50 cents and a bunch of dangly toys for 25 cents a piece.  Now that's what I'm talking about.  Garage sale prices.

I had new-found hope that there would be more sales out there just like this one, but I was wrong.  I found one sale that the lady had already marked everything down two hours into her sale because her prices were so high.  But they were still too high for this cheap-o.

We got home and we were all worn out and crabby. I fed them a quick lunch and everyone went to bed.  Including myself.  I napped for a good hour and a half before Chet called me with some good news.  He scored an interview!  I hung up the phone and was too excited to fall back asleep.  Not that he'll get the job or anything; there are 47 positions and over 1300 applicants.  But hey, an interview is an interview.  

Milo had woken up and was acting hungry, but he wasn't interested in the bottle, which seems to be his norm these days.  I've tried baby cereal but he makes a sour face and spits it back out.  I don't know how he gets by; he doesn't seem to be eating much.  But judging by the size of his thighs, he could probably go a few days without eating anything and be just fine.

I found some sweet potatoes in the cupboard and decided to give those a whirl.  He seemed to enjoy them for the first few bites, but then got so excited that he babbled and made a tbttthhhhhh with his mouth and sweet potatoes ended up all over me.  I tried it again.  But again, tbttthhhhhh, orange baby food all over me. And then he'd grin.  A big, infectious grin.

An hour later, he still hasn't eaten anything besides grazing on his pointer and middle finger, as well as the corner of his bib.  Oh, now he's eating Avery's pajama pants that he scooped up off of the floor.

Those have to have some nutritional value, I'm sure.

I'm back to work tomorrow after a week off.  I'm having mixed feelings about going back as Tucker still doesn't seem to be totally up to par.  He has his moments where he's plain worn out and in a lot of pain and just needs me to snuggle with him on the couch.

But duty calls and bills don't pay themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Summer Boredom

Summer boredom is in full-swing for the eldest child of the family.  If I had known it would be this bad, I would have enrolled her in summer school.  I've been laid up with a work injury and have been ordered to take it easy for the rest of my pregnancy so I haven't been the most fun mom to hang around these days.  I mostly give orders from the couch.    My poor children haven't been able to have the summer they had been dreaming of all winter. Like Avery said, "This is the worst summer ever!"    The few days of rain we just had made the ancient wooden door frame of the deck door expand, making the screen door close to impossible to close without slamming it shut.  Avery has been doing most of the slamming as I am mostly incapable of such behavior and one of the times she didn't see Milo on the other side, trying to get in.  His finger got slammed in the door and it swelled to Timbuktu.  Chet brought him into urgent care a few da...

Boo-Falo Days

Every year, fireworks come to town on a Friday night.  Since I work every Friday night, I only hear them rattling the windows on my resident's rooms.  Well, sometimes I peek out the blinds and see one or two go off and then reassure my resident that no sir, we are not being bombed.  It's only Buffalo Days fireworks.   We haven't ever been able to bring the kids down to the lake to watch them but who needs to when you can see them from our street corner? Chet let Avery stay up late and he brought her outside to watch them.     And of course, the carnival also comes to town, one block away.  I coughed up $20 bucks on Saturday and treated the older kids to three rides each.  The nice, toothless man allowed Piper to ride for free on this one, as long as I went with her.  And as long as I wouldn't tell anyone.  Oops.  And he said I had to sit in the back because I wouldn't fit in the front. There was a parade o...