Skip to main content

Boredom

I woke up yesterday morning and decided that I was bored.  It was 8:30am, and my kids were fed, the chores were done and I still had eight hours until Chet got home.  So in other words, I was bored.

So what do you do when you're bored?  Why, you decide to paint the kitchen a different color.  Or at least, that's what I do.

When we first moved into this starter home (now turned retirement home, the way the housing market is looking), way back in 2006, the kitchen came equipped with 1980's era wallpaper.  Chet was involved in home remodel projects such as adding walls and replacing trim, so I focused on easy things like painting.  When I came home from the store and started painting the kitchen walls green, Chet was less than impressed at my color selection.  But I wanted green.  I had always wanted a green kitchen.  Ever since I was a little girl.  Or something.  And besides, I had already paid $9.94 for a gallon of it so, too late, buddy.

Until a few weeks ago.  One day, I looked at the kitchen walls and thought they were the ugliest walls I had ever seen.  I mean, green?  Come on, self.  What were you thinking?

So yesterday, I packed up the kids and headed for our local Walmart for a gallon of paint.  Gray, this time.  I love gray.  Or is it grey?  What's the difference anyway?

After waiting at the paint counter for 17 minutes, someone finally came and mixed up a can of paint for us.  As the associate was whacking the top of the can with a mallet to secure the lid, Piper looked at him and then at me, then back at him, then back at me, I'm sure thinking to herself, aren't you going to chew him out for bamming?  One rule we have in this house is no bamming.  And that's not even a word.  But basically, no bamming cupboard doors, no bamming toys against the wall, no bamming heads against other heads, etc.

After buying my gallon of paint for $15.97 (they raised the price!), I got stopped by the self checkout lady, asking me if I ran a daycare or if they were all mine.  She then asked what their ages were.  She then asked if we meant to have them that close in age.  She then asked if Milo was a boy or a girl, despite him wearing a dark blue sweater and a brown hat.  She then told me that Piper looked just like me.  She then told me that Tucker sure was quiet.  She then told Avery that she sure was a big helper.  She then asked me what I was painting.  She then asked if I was doing the painting or if someone else was.  She then wouldn't stop talking and other shoppers stopped to take a gander at what she was exclaiming over.  I dashed out of there as fast as I could before someone alerted the news media that I was a. 24 years old.  b. was 24 years old and had four children.  c. was 24 years old and had four children under five.  d.  was 24 years old and had four children under five that were all mine.  e.  was 24 years old and had four children under five that were all mine and had them all in Walmart at the same time.

Geesh.  I'm surprised she didn't ask for my credit card number, social security number and my mother's maiden name.

After I got home, I put the babies to bed and got to painting.  Before I knew it, the kitchen was almost done and Milo was awake again.  I recruited Tucker to feed him while I finished up.

Ten minutes later, this what I found.


It's hard work being a big brother.  I let these two sleep for about an hour while I cleaned up my giant mess.

Now it's time for a second coat today.  I wonder what room I should repaint next?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real Manly, Chet

It's hard to find the time to blog these days.  I figure once life slows down a bit, I'll start taking more pictures and adding more posts.  But to those I tell that too, they ROFL.  Life doesn't slow down. Chet and I try to squeeze in as many dates as we can, as we hardly even see each other during the week.  Our date on Monday evening started out deciding on a place to eat.  I have to comply with my Weight Watcher's points and Chet is trying to put on weight. So you tell me.  Where do we eat? We ended up getting a Jimmy John's for me (I could eat half) and an Arby's meal for Chet. We were off in search of summer clothes for Chet as his previous summer wardrobe has consisted of clothes he wore to confirmation camp.  In other words, old and out of style.  As I browsed the racks at the store, I noticed something.  Had we just held onto his confo clothes, they would be in style again. His doc warned him that if he didn't start wearing a...

Morning Glory

Our new morning routine consists of everyone waking up at 7:30am, me and Avery showering, everyone dressed and out the door by 8:30am.  It's a great excuse not to workout; there's just no time.  Darn.  I pile everyone in the stroller and we make our one block trek to Avery's school.  Yesterday, I walked her up to the school doors and let her walk in by herself.  I watched her walk with confidence down the hallway until she was out of sight, her empty backpack bouncing around on her back.  This morning, I walked her to the corner and let her cross the street by herself, with the help of the crossing guards of course, and watched her disappear into the crowd of kids who were getting off of the bus.   The teacher who was monitoring the crossing smiled at me and said, "She's so little."   Tell me about it, lady.  She's too little.  I found this pic as I was rifling through my camera.  I always chuckle at Piper's teet...

They'll never forget

Chet was invited to participate in a September 11 program at the high school yesterday, along with all the Buffalo firefighters, police officers and reserves. I didn't work so I thought I'd come along with the kids and cheer them on. I dropped Chet off at the doors. The kids and I sneaked in as the honor guard was marching and hollering and we found ourselves a seat in the back, next to the exit in case anyone had a meltdown. The auditorium was about half full, with most guests being middle aged. The only children that were there were all older than five and knew how to sit still for an hour without making a peep. Let me tell you, this room was silent. As the opening prayer was starting, my kids were starting to get restless. "Mom, who is that guy?" "Shhhh!" "Bow-wow!"   Tucker roofed . "Tucker! Shhh!"  I hissed. "SCREAM!"  Piper had to put her two cents in. "Bow-wow! Bow wow!"   Tucker said...