At 6 bells, this household was as awake as a Saturday afternoon. Avery had been up in the night with bad dreams and instead of going back to sleep, she spent the rest of the night playing with the Leapster in her bed. (The Leapster is now in my possession.) Piper wakes up with the sun every morning and was screaming from her crib the minute the sun peeked over the horizon. Milo had been up all night fussing and squirming and I had only had a few hours of solid sleep, if any. Chet doesn't sleep well when we don't sleep well so he was exhausted too.
I made a stellar cake for Tucker's birthday bash yesterday morning. I know, I should have gone into cake decorating instead of nursing. And photography too, for that matter. The kids thought it was great so I guess that's all that matters.
We were not a chipper bunch, let me tell you. Chet has a big final today (oh, my goodness, he's done with school today) and I still have another eight hour shift ahead of me at work.
After sending a bawling Avery back to bed, feeding Milo another bottle, changing a stinky Piper and apologizing to my husband for being a grouch, I realized something.
Sweet little Tucker. He hadn't made a peep all morning. It was his birthday. And the rest of his family was acting like they didn't care.
Chet called him downstairs and he thought for sure that he was in trouble.
He slowly walked over to me in his backwards, inside-out shirt and backwards pants. I held my arms out. He let out a shy little smile. He gave me a hug, then gave Chet a hug.
He's three now. Three! I remember my third birthday.
Me with my haircut that looked like bangs going all the way around my head. I clearly remember changing into that shirt. I had originally put on a pink Care Bear shirt, but my uncle Hans teased me that morning that he could see my belly button. I was mortified and embarrassed and changed into the red and white striped one. It's my earliest memory.
I made a stellar cake for Tucker's birthday bash yesterday morning. I know, I should have gone into cake decorating instead of nursing. And photography too, for that matter. The kids thought it was great so I guess that's all that matters.
Nothing like having your friends help you blow out your candles after they realize that you are blowing upwards and your breath is going nowhere near the flame.
Avery made him a birthday card this morning. But then she cried because I didn't take a picture of her with it. Because my memory card was full and my battery was dying. And her face was full of snitched chocolate cake from the counter. She bawled and told me how left out she felt and I sent her back to bed. Again.
But Tucker's having a good day. Every few minutes, he'll come find me and tell me he's three. Like it keeps hitting him. He's three. He just can't believe it. Three!



Comments
Post a Comment